Monday, August 17, 2009

PRIME OF LIFE BRIDE GUIDE TO WEDDING PARTIES

Oh I know, deciding on the wedding party is never easy but it gets harder when you have friends going back farther than the age of today's average bride.

First, you have family issues, both of you have probably seen your families double in size with the addition of in-laws in the last few decades. Then you have their kids...

On the friend side, your gang has gotten larger with time and the intensity of the friendships have waxed and waned over the years so, do you ask your then best friend - the person for whom served as her maid of honor even if the relationship has faded a bit? How about the friends who married when your friendship was in its early stages so you weren't in their weddings but would like to have them now...

Then you have the size issue. Once again, let me channel my mother who said "nobody wants to see a parade of 50 year old women walk down the asile before you." Plus, let's face it, for everyone who might be offended because you didn't ask, there are two others saying "Thank God!"

I had a friend who married around 40 and came up with an interesting solution - she had the children of her friends and family parade down the aisle before her. The friends and family were thrilled and felt included and she had an adorable procession. This, however, is not for the faint of heart.

I built on that idea. I asked my oldest close friend (or is it closest old friend?) to be my attendant and my husband asked his step-daughter to be his "Best Man". We then added the little people - we had three flowergirls (my two nieces and his granddaughter) and my Godson was our ringbearer.

It had the sophistication of an older wedding - with one attendant each - but the joy of a big wedding with adorable little kids in the procession. My grandmother (mentioned in the first blog posting) is long dead but I'm convinced she orchestrated the procession from heaven because kids who kept spinning in circles, crying, or playing tag at the rehearsal all stepped up to the plate and walked a straight line looking angelic for their big moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment