Monday, August 10, 2009

PRIME OF LIFE GUIDE TO WEDDING SHOES

I haven't worn high heels since the 80s when I wore pumps as a banker in NYC. I am at my happiest in clogs (Dansko to be specific) so the idea of wearing high heels for my wedding was never an option.

Sure, high heels are slimming (though I'd need really high heels to make a difference). Sure, my husband is 6 feet tall, but there was no way I would be uncomfortable on my wedding day. I swear if Dansko or Crocs made an ivory clog, I would have been elated but they didn't (I checked).

Kenneth Cole was introducing his shoes with Nike Air technology just as I started shoe shopping. I'm a big Kenneeth Cole fan so I was excited but I didn't find them to be comfortable.

I was a big fan of the Ferragamo flats with bows in the late 80s/90s but I couldn't find them with the right size heel in ivory.

I googled my way around ivory mules and ivory clogs and came up with one pair on the entire internet. These are made by by David Tate and I bought them on-line at Zappos. They are super comfortable though the lining doesn't breathe. That said, I could walk in them for hours. I was thrilled.

One of my friends runs a major shoe company. He accompanied me to my first fitting and was appalled at my choice of shoe. The color didn't match the gown (I didn't think it mattered since the gown goes to the floor). He made me walk in the gown and I was surprised at how much shoe I saw (so maybe it was a blessing that Dansko and Crocs didn't come through for me after all).

He did the most unbelievable thing ever and had my shoes made to order, matching the fabric beautifully. I loved them! They were beautiful and pretty comfy. The only downside is that he had to keep making the draft shoes bigger - nothing like saying to a friend in the fashion industry "I know these seem like kayaks compared to what you normally design but these are still a wee bit too snug..."

Since the wedding, I learned why the shoes were a problem. I have developed a bunyon. Try googling "bunyon tips for brides." Suffice it to say, you just wear wide shoes. This bridal odyssey got sexier by the day...

Despite complete confidence in my friend, I feared the beautiful custom shoes might be uncomfortable so I decided I need a "team of shoes" approach for the wedding day so I had the "official" wedding shoes, the David Tates as backups and the stereotypical wedding flipflop (though those proved to be uncomfortable and stiff). I wore the official shoes for eight hours with a half hour switch off to the David Tates. I lasted longer than the barefooted guests on the dance floor. YAY.


I'm curious about what others have done to be comfortable in their footwear on the big day.

No comments:

Post a Comment