Thursday, August 13, 2009

PRIME OF LIFE BRIDE GUIDE TO WEDDING VEILS

"Remember, you're almost 50!"

This was my mother's anthem during the year of wedding planning but it was most pronounced during the veil discussion.

I had debated back and forth and decided against a veil for several reasons. The big one is that the feminist in me rejects the origin of the tradition (though I caved on others) but here I did agree that I was too old for a veil and this put me oddly in sync with bridal style which seems to be less about veils these days.

A few of my friends were disappointed because they saw the veil as central to the wedding look. As I thought about it, I recalled that all good childhood wedding ceremonies involved a towel or pillowcase on our heads which meant that we were the bride (or the nun if we were playing school).

Bridal salespeople, like drug dealers, look for vulnerability and swoop in. The consultant asked if I wanted to see veils. My mother shouted "no, that won't be necessary" at the same time that I said "well, it wouldn't hurt to look..." All reason goes by the wayside at a bridal superstore. No matter what ridiculous thing you might be considering, the woman across the store is doing something even more outlandish so you always feel justified in your choices.

It was fun to try them on and I did feel bride-y but I also felt stupid so cooler heads prevailed.


I opted to put flowers in my hair. Much better!






No comments:

Post a Comment